You have a brand new puppy about to enter the world, and you need to properly prepare for the huge challenge ahead of you. Puppies are so wonderful, endearing, loving, and adorable but they can be a real headache if you don’t put in the time and effort to train them correctly.
As you begin to prepare for this new bundle of joy that is about to become a significant part of your life you’ll ask yourself the obvious question: What do I need to buy for my fur baby? In this article we’ll cover some indispensable items that you need to consider picking up before your puppy arrives.
1. The Right Toys
For your new puppy having the right chew toy is going to be critical. A chew toy may seem trivial to some, but you’ll want to have this essential toy around to maintain your own peace of mind as well as that of your puppy.
Puppies are similar to children in that they get bored very easily. Like kids when puppies get bored they find something to get into. All of a sudden everything looks interesting to them. This could be your shoes, corner of a chair, the bed spread, pillow, curtain or socks that get their attention and they begin to chew. In order to prevent them from chewing up stuff you don’t want damaged you need to have a ready alternative to get their attention. Puppies can do a lot of damage in a very short period of time.
The best chew toys that you can get are the chew toys that are tough, but simple and soft. Don’t get anything that has small parts because these types of toys can be a potential choking risk. Puppies can die much quicker from choking than an adult dog. It’s best to consider the toy you pick carefully, and stick to the simple stuff like rawhides, chew rings, and pull ropes.
Chew Toy Options:
- Kong Puppy Toy Natural Teething Rubber: This toy has a soft rubber formula for your puppy’s teeth and gums. It’s very gentle and created to be long lasting and help satisfy your dog’s instinctual need to chew.
- Kong Puppy Binkie Soft Teething Rubber and Treat Dispenser: This puppy chew toy has the shape of a pacifier, and has soft rubber specially crafted to help your puppy’s sore gums and teeth
- Nylabone Puppy Chew Teething Rings Chew Toy: This chew toy is durable and has a tough nylon material. This toy will keep your puppy busy and help stop destructive chewing. This will help with your puppy’s teething as well as clean and freshen your puppies teeth and breath. Your little fur baby will love the yummy bacon flavor.
- Nylabone Puppy Chew Variety Toy & Treat Triple Pack: A gentle toy that eases pain when your puppy is in the teething stage.
2. The Right Water Bowl
Some puppies love the water, and they will not only drink it, but try to jump into it. This makes the water dirty for your puppy, and for any other dogs you may have. And secondarily your puppy will spread water all over your floors.
You can expect this behavior to continue until your dog is too big to jump into the water bowl. In the meantime we’d recommend that you buy and use a metal water bowl that is heavy and has a non-skid mat. This setup will keep the water bowl from moving when your puppy jumps in for a splash.
- AmazonBasics Stainless Steel Dog Bowl: This bowl is stainless-steel and durable. It’s rust resistant and has a rubber base to prevent movement.
3. The Right Bed
You want to provide a space where your dog will feel comfortable and safe. Your dog’s bed can be that comfortable and safe space. You won’t to do your best to keep your dog from becoming stressed, because a stressed dog can become an aggressive dog.
Every dog and dog breed is different so you’ll have to try out a few dog beds potentially before you find the right one for your dog. Make sure that you keep your receipts when you purchase a dog bed so that you have the option to take the bed back if it’s not a good fit.
A few things to remember when you are selecting a dog bed: Get a bed that has thick padding. Ensure that the bed is enclosed to provide a feeling of safety. And proactively prepare for your puppy to wet the bed by getting a bed with a waterproof liner.
- Best Friends by Sheri The Original Calming Shag Vegan Fur Donut Cuddler: This dog bed comes in multiple sizes so you’re covered whether your dog is less than 25 lbs. or your dog is as large as 150 lbs.
4. The Right Crate
Your new puppy is absolutely going to require potty training so get ready for cleaning up after your little bundle of joy. You puppy just like a baby won’t be able to comprehend much at first. Housebreaking your new puppy will require a lot of diligent monitoring and patience from you.
The best method for potty training your new dog is what is known as crate training. With crate training you are going to keep your puppy in a crate or cage for the better part of the day, and only let them out every few hours to use the bathroom. Now this may sound cruel to a lot of dog owners, but it is an effective way to potty train your dog.
- AmazonBasics Single Door / Double Door Folding Metal Dog Crate With Tray: This excellent dog crate comes in a variety of sizes for all sizes of dogs.
5. The Right Collar And Leash
You have a puppy, and not an adult dog so you’ll need to get a collar that fits a puppy. You’ll also need an appropriate leash. Make sure to pay close attention to the thickness of both. You can save some money by not buying a really heavy-duty leash and collar. Remember that your puppy is going to out grow both of them over time.
- beebiepet Dog Collar And Leash set: This dog collar and leash set comes in various colors and different sizes so you can match it correctly for your new puppy.
This has been a short list of some essential starter items that you can pick up for your new puppy. This will get you started to developing a happy, loving relationship with your new dog.